TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    DWLI- 1 year suspension
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DWLI- 1 year suspension Login/Join 
posted
Can anyone help me? this is my story. I am licensed in TX and I moved to Maryland with my wife back in 2010 due to the Navy transferring her. we went on vacation and I got a speeding ticket in PA. I got the ticket on 6-14-2010 and on 6-25-2010 a DL-38 was sent out explaining that I had to pay the ticket 15 days from 6-25-2010 putting my deadline on/or about 7-10-2010. I did not pay my ticket until 8-26-2010 due to financial difficulties with a new born etc... either way the suspension was warranted I do not contest that I was prepared to pay an extra reinstatement fee if I had to. After speaking with the Pennsylvania District Court who I paid the fine too told me that I was cleared and that they send out an electronic message to Texas DPS (DL-38 Receipt of Response) stating and confirming that I paid my fines with the state of PA country of Fulton District Court. I called Texas DPS and asked them if I owed them any fines at that time the clerk said NO!! and we discussed that PA will be sending a DL-38 I vividly remember the clerk telling me they will notify me if i owe a fine. I never got a notification, now when I moved I may not have updated my new mailing address from Texas, however, the DL-38 from PA has my updated mailing address anyway, I never received anything. according to my Texas driving report I obtained it, showed a noticed was sent out on 8-25-2010 the day before my ticket was paid (paid ticket fine on 8-26-10) my Drivers License was suspended on 10-7-10, 46 days after PA sent the DL-38 electronically. The Texas DPS Lead whose name I will not mention here for her security, told me and a PA Fulton County District Court Clerk several times that my driver's License was suspended due to non-payment of out of state fines for PA and the DWLI was enforced due to my license being suspended. I did owe an Admin reinstate fee to Texas for the PA suspension, however SOMEONE ANSWER THIS FOR ME!! Should my license have been suspended when my fines where paid on 8-26-10 and the suspension went into effect 10-7-10? with that being said with my research I did read that oweing a reinstate fee to your home DL state does not warrant a DWLI charge. can someone confirm that? Lets say that it is true that the reinstate fee does in fact warrant a DWLI charge did I mention that I was never citied for driving on a suspended license? It was a department suspension from with-in the DPS. It still goes back to the fact my license should have never been suspended because I paid my fines and 46 days AFTER I paid my fines the suspension goes into effect. Since that citation in PA on 6-14-2010, it has been 1yr 3ms and 26dys later that I got another ticket in VA on 2-3-2012 for failure to obey a traffic sign. I will be completely honest I forgot all about the ticket, my wife was deployed at the time I was alone with my children and in the process of trying to move to another home and I just forgot all about it until I tried to obtain a VA drivers license 3 days ago. so after 11 months I paid the ticket off with VA on 1-15-2013, I spoke with VA DMV and they said they don’t report anything to any other DPS or DMV they said all computers are linked in away and other departments search for whatever they want. Texas DPS sent out a notice to me on 6-22-2012 of possible suspension if not paid by a deadline, and on 8-4-2012 my license was put on a DWLI Department suspension until 8-3-2013. I totally screwed the pooch on the last ticket and my license should have been suspended and I would have paid the fees to clear it up, but again I was told by the Texas DPS that the suspension was imposed to non-payment receipt of PA citation it also says it on my drivers record and that the DWLI suspension was a result of driving with a suspended license due the PA citation not being paid, when in fact it was paid on 8-26-2010 and the suspension was placed on 10-7-2010. Texas DPS claims they never got the electronically sent DL-38 from PA. I have paid all fines and I am in conversation with the Texas DPS Driver License Compliance and Reinstatement team to see if they will lift the DWLI suspension. Is there any way I can appeal their decision if they tell me no it stays on your record and I have to apply of a occupational License and get SR-22? What are my chances of them granting me my request? I can provide and I already have to the TX DPS that my license should have never been suspended in 2010. Can anyone help me if I need it? I am broke I don’t have much money but I will do what I can. Thanks for reading this long post but I had a lot to say and a huge point to make. Patrick C.

Posts: 1 | Location: Norfolk, VA | Registered: January 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

From the main page

Welcome to the TDCAA Bulletin Boards. The discussions in these user forums are for the benefit of prosecutors and their staff members, although we welcome relevant and appropriate input from other members of the criminal justice and government lawyer community. The opinions expressed on this forum are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of TDCAA, its staff, or any other member of the association. These forums are NOT a source of legal advice for citizens. Call the State Bar of Texas (800/204-2222) for information on seeking legal advice.

Posts: 2428 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post