TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    When is a Judge AWOL
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When is a Judge AWOL Login/Join 
posted
It seems obvious to me that a judge should be present during voir dire and trial. Its so black letter that when questioned about what that really means no cases or statutes come to mind.

Does anyone know a line of cases that address issues like leaving the bench for brief periods of time without recessing court?

Posts: 159 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What? While a jury is in the box? While a witness is on the stand? I can think of one we lost where the judge dozed momentarily during a revocation. Turner v. State, Nos. 05-01-00299-CR, 05-01-00300-CR, &05-01-00301-CR, 2002 Tex. App. LEXIS 7135 (Tex. App.--Dallas Oct. 9, 2002, no pet.).

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, no, its not that bad. I was just asked to look into the issue of when a judge absolutely must be on the bench.

Posts: 159 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post