TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Wal-Mart, Drug Free Zone?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wal-Mart, Drug Free Zone? Login/Join 
posted
We're updating our official drug free zone map kept on file in the County Clerk's office. Our current one is over 10 years old.

Wal-Mart and Cici's pizza have designated arcade areas. They were both included on the old map. But, checking 481.134(a)(6)(B) makes me wonder whether or not they should be considered arcades.

"Video arcade facility" means any facility that: ... is intended primarily for use of pinball or video machines.

The designated area in Wal-Mart is an alcove off of the entrance. (pretty standard lay-out for Wal-Mart) Cici's has the same sort of set up.

When does a designated area become a facility to be used primarily for that purpose?

I think it's analogous to a daycare center in an office building. But, you can get absurd with the analogy. What is different about the 'arcade area' and an arcade in a shopping mall? the doorway? Ownership? What about a daycare center in an exercise facility?

What do y'all think? I can see this going either way.

(Out of 100 hits on video arcade facility, I've found no answer on Lexis.)

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post