TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Alien Testimony
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alien Testimony Login/Join 
posted
Facts: A, an illegal alien, drives car from which passenger B fires his handgun at C. A is arrested along with B in May, 2003. A has an ICE (or if you are antiquated, "INS") hold placed on him. He is presumably subject to deportation. Earliest trial date for B is in October. A was initially arrested as having aided and abetted B, but because State does not wish to automatically make him an accomplice witness, A is not indicted. A becomes eligible for release under art. 17.151 sec. 1 (1) from the county jail. Even if served with a subpoena now, it appears unlikely A will be in this country in October and it might well be illegal for him to re-enter the country, even if he were amenable to do so in order to testify about the events leading to B's arrest. Any ideas on how to make use of A's knowledge of the crime? There was a bill in 1997 to authorize taking of depositions by the State, but it did not become law. My guess is people farther south face this type problem all the time.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about keeping A in custody on a high bond as a material witness under CCP Art. 17.34 and 17.37?

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with it myself, but CCP 39.09 addresses taking of depositions for non-resident witnesses. It doesn't appear to be limited to defense witnesses, but like I said, I've never worked with it.

Posts: 245 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: July 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post