TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    enhancing misdemeanor theft with prior thefts to 3rd degree?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

enhancing misdemeanor theft with prior thefts to 3rd degree? Login/Join 
posted
we have a career thief here in bee county with 2 prior State Jail felony theft convictions. She has picked up a misdemeanor theft. Does Sec. 12.42 of Penal Code allow me to use prior felony theft convictions to enhance to a 3rd? I found a case which says i can't make it 2-20 but i want to confirm whether or not i can take it to a 3rd. I'd appreciate your thoughts...

Posts: 1 | Location: corpus christi, Texas, USA | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A misdemeanor theft with two prior theft convictions is elevated to a state jail felony under PC Sec. 31.03(e)4(D).

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ken is correct. Absent some non-theft priors, you're stuck in Sec. 31.03's sentencing scheme. I got reversed on that in Brown, if that's the case you read.

Posts: 2427 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post