TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Advice for a new attorney?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice for a new attorney? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Do county attorney's offices usually post openings here, or is it most limited to the DA offices?

Posts: 11 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: January 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not all positions are posted here, although many are. I recommend checking this job bank AND the website of any county you are interested in. Occasionally a job will be posted in one but not the other. Do carefully read the instructions for every location. Example: I did not send a resume to Dallas County when I was job hunting because the job info page on the county website specifically required that any application be made in response to a currently posted opening, and at the time, there were none. One DA's page used to state "send resume, cover letter and writing sample by email or fax to ____", while another may not limit submissions to current openings, but require an application sumbitted in person instead of a resume. They are all different. Too bad you are several hours away - we have no budget for another prosecutor, but I could really use a free intern Wink

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Waco is just a bit too far for a daily commute!

Posts: 11 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: January 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL, I'm not actually in Waco - much further away - although that office has a great bunch of people and you could do far worse!

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During a reception after I was sworn in by the Hon. Donald Shipley, Harris County, Texas, so many years ago, I asked him if he had any sage advice for me.

Without missing a beat, he said "Yeah Greg, go sell shoes."

As an aside, it took me 15 years of trying to land a fantastic job in the Central Texas area. It was certainly worth the wait. But there are lots of other great offices around.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again everyone for your input. You've offered lots of great advice.