TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Commissioners and ebay
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Commissioners and ebay Login/Join 
posted
I have a commissioner who is fairly computer literate who has figured out how to use ebay and has done a good job for our county in selling surplus equip. etc., for more than could otherwise be obtained. He is now wanting to start a business of contracting with other governmental entities to sell for them using the power of the internet and online auctions. He would charge a fee for his services, but wants to know if there is any prohibition for a sitting commissioner to do it. I can't think of a real problem as long as he is not charging our county a fee....I might even prefer that all the other entites be located outside our county for appearances sake. Any thoughts?

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The biggest potential problem I see for your budding entrepreneur is the myriad chapter 176 disclosure statements he'll have to file. Or dealing with irritable purchasing agents. I'm sure his contracts will be absolutely devoid of problematic provisions like adhesion indemnity clauses, liquidated damages and venue selection clauses, so he shouldn't have any trouble with cynical CA/DA types, right?

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post