TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Community Supervision and Corrections Departments
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Community Supervision and Corrections Departments Login/Join 
posted
We (Bexar County) are interested in determining if other counties submit private contracts executed by the local Community Supervision and Corrections Departments (Adult Probation) to the Commissioners Court for approval. We are of the view that if there is no county funding there is no need for Commissioners Court approval. We are seeking to obtain a definitive position on this issue from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Posts: 2 | Location: San Antonio, Texas, USA | Registered: May 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a three county district. I looked at this issue several years ago, and it was / is my opinion that - absent the direct invovlement of county funds - the contract does not go through Commissioners Court. The District Judge appoints the head of the office without (required) input from the counties. The funding is largely from the state; what little comes from us is not for a specific purpose but simply goes into the "pot" or is an in-kind contribution, such as office space.

Unless the contract is either one which directly impacts a county asset, such as remodeling a courthouse office, or one for which the CSCD is requesting a specific influx of money from the Commissioners, I don't think that they have to go to the Court.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See if LGC 140.003(b) helps any.

Posts: 39 | Location: Travis | Registered: May 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post