TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    County purchase of land?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

County purchase of land? Login/Join 
posted
50+ acres behind the county coliseum is up for sale. A public (not county) road runs through it, originating on a FM road and terminating at the coliseum - with work, could be emergence access. The 4H/FFA Ag Barn is accessed by this road and is on the property through a handshake agreement with the corporation that owns the land.

At least one commissioner wants the county to purchase the land (about $50/acre, a good price). The stated reason would be for (at this time unplanned) coliseum expansion and to insure that the road is kept.

Am I missing something? I think that they can contract to purchase at the asking price without bid or em dom proceeding, can't they? Confused

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What you're describing sounds like a garden variety, arms-length real estate transaction. Since your seller appears to be ready, willing and able to convey and amenable to the price, I don't see why condemnation would be necessary or appropriate.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was my thought, but this is one of those days when I need to hear it from those wiser than I............... Wink

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're still waiting, then.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh civil guru of West Texas - -