TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Selling the courthouse...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selling the courthouse... Login/Join 
posted
When the courthouse was built in the '70s, exposed aggregate was popular for walkways. For assorted reasons, it is being replaced. The commissioners WERE going to use it in culverts and the like, until citizens started wanting to buy some of the 4' square blocks.

My thought is that it would have to be sold at auction - with an auctioneer, not a volunteer - which would likely cost more than would be gained. The guys don't want to irritate some of the prominent types that want the blocks...but...

Any other way to do this??

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't there is a way around the statute.

Posts: 267 | Location: Mansfield, Texas | Registered: August 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't think so, but promised to ask...! I gave them the choice of hiring an auctioneer or storing 75 monster blocks of aggregate until someone else holds an aution...they didn't like either one!

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is construction debris. The county could take bids on removal and hauling. Presumably one of the people interested in obtaining one or more blocks will be the low bidder (like he would agree to do the work for $10). The county saves the time and expense of the removal, then the low bidder can dispose of the "debris" however he sees fit - maybe even by selling it to others who might be interested.

Posts: 325 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post