TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Civil    Purchase of Contraband by County Employee
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purchase of Contraband by County Employee Login/Join 
posted
Is there any prohibition against county employee's purchasing forfeited property at a public auction? I can't find anything.

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What're you selling?

If it's 8-liner stuff, have a look at Attorney General Opinion No. GA-0533. It concludes that 8-liner machines can be sold by competitive bid as salvage with conditions to prevent recurrence of illegal use within the county. Seems to me that could infer authority to preclude county employees from eligibility to purchase, or at the very least require that they expressly agree to remove the devices from the county. Concurrently, it's a general employment rule in Texas that an employer has a right to discipline an employee for off-duty conduct that relates to the employer's business and that reflects poorly on the employer. Possession of contraband or unlawful use of property would seem to fall within that rubric. There is no constitutional right to violate a facially-valid penal law.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are vehicles and other items; no eight-liners or things like that (that I know of).

Posts: 366 | Location: Plainview, Hale County | Registered: January 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post