TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Other    Grant money for rural DAs - Edu. Code 61.9601
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grant money for rural DAs - Edu. Code 61.9601 Login/Join 
posted
Hi everyone! My name is Chris Cundiff, and I'm a recent hire at the DA's office in Eastland County.

I noticed a while back that part of the Education Code creates a fund that assists rural ADAs with student loan repayments. The code states that the fund is managed by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and has a few requirements before payments are authorized.

When I try to learn more about this fund, there is a vacuum where any information should be. I haven't found anything from Google or other web searches. The THECB website is conspicuously silent on it. When I emailed the board, I received an email and phone call from a very confused rep, who mentioned that he had never heard of the fund in all his years working there. I'm not sure I blame him--outside of Section 61.9601 of the education code, this fund doesn't seem to exist.

The THECB rep said he would try to find what he could on the topic, but that was two months ago. I've tapped most resources I can think of on the topic. If anyone here has even the smallest idea or suggestion of where to look to find this phantom fund, I would be incredibly grateful! Thank you.

Posts: 6 | Location: Eastland | Registered: May 15, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hello, Chris!

Short answer: Rural prosecutor loan repayment has been in statute for decades but it has never been funded by the Lege. Therefore, it is a dead letter until it gets funded.

We at TDCAA know WAY more about this than can fit on the forum, so call me and I can answer all your questions. (w) 512-474-2436.

Posts: 2427 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That lines up with the THECB representative's email. I appreciate the response, and I'd love to give you a call about the program. Would it be alright for me to text the number you gave to plan a time?

Posts: 6 | Location: Eastland | Registered: May 15, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post