TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Taking a License
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking a License Login/Join 
posted
Does your office have a policy regarding taking a peace officer license in connection with prosecuting the officer?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John, I haven't gone for the license directly; I believe that is the province of the hiring agency unless part of a plea agreement. What I have done is determine to what degree the pending charge, where the evidence is substantial, affects the credibility of the officer as a witness where the officer played a key investigative role. I will advise the police agency that I cannot accept cases where the officer is a major witness, and we also screen pending cases where the officer is a key witness and either work a better plea agreement or dismiss those that cannot be otherwise proven without the officer's testimony. It is drastic, but likely necessary. Fortunately, we have not had many of these.

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually simply proceed with the case and at the conclusion notify all interested parties.(the agency in which he is employed and TCLOSE. In one case I allowed an officer surrender his license in lieu of prosecuton. I understand this will permanently prohibit him from getting his certification back.

Posts: 106 | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post