TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Can you make a "pills" case using ONLY drug logs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you make a "pills" case using ONLY drug logs? Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone successfully prosecuted (or contemplated) a "Chemicals" case under Sec. 481.124 HSC by utilizing ONLY the "drug logs" required by Sec. 486.014 HSC -- logs recording any sale of over-the-counter medication containing pseudoephedrine or ephedrine which include ID of purchaser and date of purchase?

Specifically, how confident can one feel in obtaining and preserving a conviction if, based solely on the drug logs, a clear pattern of "smurfing" is present... even if no pills are ever located on the subject? Please assume that there are no issues as to the identity of the defendant.

Posts: 2 | Location: Wichita Falls, TX, USA | Registered: August 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you say "a clear pattern of smurfing appears", what does that mean?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this must be a North Tex term--basically you, as a meth cook, send out a bunch of burnt up meth-heads to each buy ephedrine/ pseudoephedrine pills for you from the local Wal Mart/Dollar General/CVS/Walgreens, etc....We refer to these low level people as Smurfs. I don't know why--they have absolutely no physical resemblance to Papa Smurf or Smurfette (and just the fact that I can recall those two off the top my head scares the heck out of me).

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
However, they bear a striking resemblance to Gargamel...

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post