TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Nevada judge loses post over MySpace 'bias against prosecutors'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nevada judge loses post over MySpace 'bias against prosecutors' Login/Join 
posted
Apparently, what happens on MySpace doesn't always float in Vegas: A substitute judge in the North Las Vegas Justice Court got sacked last week because of some nasty stuff he said on his social-networking profile about prosecutors.

The 34-year-old criminal defense attorney, Jonathan MacArthur, had been appointed as a judge pro tempore in anticipation of a full judicial post that would be available in 2009. Unfortunately, MacArthur wrote on his MySpace profile that his interests included "Breaking my foot off in a prosecutor's a**...and improving my ability to break my foot off in a prosecutor's a**." That line caught the attention of the Clark County District Attorney, who alerted the administrator for the court where MacArthur served. The aspiring judge said he was just being tongue-in-cheek, but the court didn't take it as a laughing matter, and MacArthur was promptly sacked from his pro-tem gig.

"A judge's job is to be unbiased in all matters," commented Natalie Tyrrell, North Las Vegas Justice of the Peace. "On that MySpace page, it appears he definitely has a bias against prosecutors."

MacArthur's other MySpace interests allegedly included "anything relating to the NFL, video games, sex," and he professed to being a Denver Broncos fan. Yikes, talk about biased!

For more in MySpace lesson-learning, read about 'Smokey McBlunt'--no, it wasn't a pot bust.

(Las Vegas Review-Journal via Techdirt via Valleywag)

Posts: 2138 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Don't feel bad for the guy; I'm sure he could still get elected to the bench in Travis County. Big Grin

Posts: 2426 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnR:
Unfortunately, MacArthur wrote on his MySpace profile that his interests included "Breaking my foot off in a prosecutor's a**...and improving my ability to break my foot off in a prosecutor's a**."

Which likely means he has never beat the Great State of Nevada in a criminal case of any note.

I'm sure the prosecutors in Nevada are very happy that Mr. MacArthur chose to publically vent his feelings about prosecutors. Bet they're having a party if they already have not had one...

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post