TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    A Cautionary Tale
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Cautionary Tale Login/Join 
posted
Rockwall County DA Ray Sumrow's fall a shock to those close to him
01:02 AM CDT on Thursday, July 17, 2008

By ELIZABETH LANGTON / The Dallas Morning News

Ray Sumrow was a self-made success, a man who, despite holding elected office, didn't mind getting his hands dirty and enjoyed shooting the breeze with friends at the old Dairy Queen.

He worked his way through law school and won election as Rockwall County district attorney six times.

Ray Sumrow
He earned a reputation for prosecuting public officials, handling at least half a dozen cases. The State Bar named him Prosecutor of the Year in 2001 - the same year he beat kidney cancer.

So how did the county's chief law enforcer, a man with a reputation for integrity and friends among Rockwall's elite, fall so far?

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Caesar made his triumphant entry into Rome, a slave held a laurel crown over his head and reminded Julius , "Remember that thou art mortal". Caesar seems tohave forgotten this, as we all know.

My first lesson as a prosecutor was to remember that I am putting real people into real jails. This is a lesson I have never forgotten. I have never forgotten that a prosecutor is to do justice. I have also always been cautioned not to take myself too seriously.

With these admonitions, I have always done what I thought was RIGHT, no matter the consequences. Prosecutors can get swept up in politics, political correctness, decisions based on popularity or friendship, and, of course, ego. Any of thse can bring a downfall - you don't have to commit a cime.

I don't know what happened in this case. If the man is guilty, then he deserves his punishment, If not, then sloppy bookkeeping should not send him to the slammer.

I am mortal. Thanks God for that.

Posts: 48 | Location: Seguin, TX, USA | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two juries found him guilty; he's guilty.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ken -

You are right. He is guilty. Still sad, though inexcusable............

Posts: 48 | Location: Seguin, TX, USA | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post