TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Donation information for a fellow tdcaa forum member's family
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Donation information for a fellow tdcaa forum member's family Login/Join 
posted
I would like to spearhead a donation campaign for one of our forum members who is a totally devoted member of our fight against crime. Chances are, he's already helped you in prosecutions in your jurisdiction, either through his direct investigative efforts, his publication for the tdcaa, his instruction at tdcaa seminars or through his investigation of crimes that occur in prisons.

He had a very dear relative, his beloved young nephew, killed in combat in the current mid east conflict. When this dear boy was laid to rest out of state, his mother had a soldier's memorial, a sculpture of a helmet, boots and rifle in bronze that signify the fallen hero. placed in concrete atop the grave. Last weekend, vandals stole the memorial, ripping it from it's concrete base atop the grave.

If you would like to email me at dagreg at justice dot com I would be happy to give more information. I am spelling my email as I have been getting stray emails lately. Our friend has not requested any donations, however, I am planning to donate some money to the cause of helping his family get another sculpture to replace the stolen one, and if you would like to join me in this effort, please contact me.

I know Brumley will be with me on this as well.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just let me know where to send the check.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will come out of the cupboard on this, one reason being that it's pretty obvious who Greg is talking about (there are only 7 investigators in the state who do what I do, and only one of us has lost a nephew in combat in Iraq). First, thanks, Greg on behalf of my sister and her precious son, John, who died in the sand of Karabilah, Iraq, with his face to the enemy.

However, Crystal would not want or expect any donations to replace or repair the sculpture; and thankfully, her homeowner's insurance policy is going to help her with the cost. What is more important to our family and I am sure to those others who have lost loved ones over there, is that good people in our country are informed of the kind of hatred perpetrated against our heroes and their families. It took several people, exerting great effort to rip the life-size bronze statue from its base, then load it into some type of truck (tire tracks were left on the grave), drive it to a remote area and dump the statue in the woods.

That type of effort tells me that strong, ugly feelings were behind the actions. The feelings reveal much about whomever did this. And where one is, there are more out there in the shadows, just like child molesters, murderers, rapists, thieves and other law-breakers. It's an iceberg, where a few cold-blooded evil-doers took action at one location, and many more just like them are below the surface, waiting their turns.

But, just like as happens when the bad guys appear to do their wickedness, good comes out as well. You, Greg Gilleland, Scott Brumley and others who have expressed support to us have demonstrated what is right and good, much more convincingly than the dirtbags expressed in their ugliness. If he could, Corporal John Stalvey would tell you folks and all of America that he did not die in vain; he knew the risk and he accepted the mission. I know he would do it all over again if he could. And now, as I wear his dog tag around my neck, over my heart, as I promised John I would do if anything happened to him, I determine to do whatever it takes to continue pursuing justice and accept the challenges necessary to see that, in my own small purview, truth, honesty and decency prevail.

We appreciate the thought, Greg, but please don't pursue any efforts at contributions. If folks have already done so, we would ask that funds be sent to charities supporting injured and/or deceased soldiers and their families.

God bless the United States of America.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God Bless you and your family A.P.

Your family will continue to be in the thoughts and prayers of my family.

Posts: 70 | Location: Hunt County | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do not mean to disagree with you A.P. but at the very least there is a deductable that will go along with that insurance bill. You and I have previously discussed you and your family's situation, you know how I feel, and what it means to all of us right thinking individuals. You have suffered enough and paid a price we all hope never has to happen but realize such are an inevitable cost of Freedom.

Your price has been paid! Allow those of us that wish the opportunity to help in some wayto do so. Allow us to at least take care of the deductible. It is the very least we can do for a family who has given so much for us. Count me in to help!

Not to go against you A.P., but I say we do it and just send it care of A. P.

As for the desicration of the grave site, when they find out who did this (words can't come to describe this) action. I think the VP has a quail hunting trip scheduled for next year they need to be a part of. And if he doesn't, I do!

God bless you and your family A.P. for your sacrife and all the troops and there families where ever they may be.

Posts: 11 | Location: Amarillo, Texas | Registered: April 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and of tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks, Randall and you other kind folks who encourage us with your compassion and friendship. It took a great tragedy for me to realize what kind of friends we have, especially in this great association. That's why I'm a huge believer in letting folks know you care about them while we're still alive and able to do so. We should support and ecourage each other while there is time and opportunity to do it.

But like I said, it's an iceberg, or maybe a snowball rolling downhill, the way pain has a way of gathering momentum even after the death. The desecration of John's grave is only one slap in our faces. You see, a month or so ago, my own son was fired from his job in Conroe because he "...was taking too long to grieve your cousin's death. We need you to be happy and cheerful here in this office, not gloomy and depressed." So, he was fired -- I have never heard of that happening before, have heard a lot of reasons for giving somebody the axe, but not because their very close cousin was killed in combat, serving this nation, protecting the rights of people to be hateful and speak their minds, burn our flag, slander our soldiers, etc.

So, I keep writing posts here on the website, trying to be upbeat and not let the low-lifes get me down. And, I look forward to the next time I am on the stand being gutted by a defense lawyer for telling the truth. It gives me the opportunity to see if I can maintain good character and integrity in the face of misleading, even dishonest tactics on behalf of guilty defendants. It makes me feel like I'm doing a very small piece of something that helps us remain a free society.

"We have one or two opportunities in life to be a hero, but we can choose every day NOT to be a coward."

[This message was edited by A.P. Merillat on 02-22-06 at .]

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang AP, I did not even know until now.

John was also a crisis man. Even in death his life is affecting everyone it touches. I know that it's tempting to see only the bad when the ugly show their faces like this but it might help to remember the faces of those standing on the roadside as the limos drove past. Yellow ribbons, stars and stripes, tears...support.

One thing is certain; those responsible will be called to account. While their deeds may not be laid bare to the world until they are laid beneath the gray stone, they will be held to account.

quote:
Originally posted by A.P. Merillat:
"We have one or two opportunities in life to be a hero, but we can choose every day NOT to be a coward."

A note to all who read this, the admiration and respect you have for John is the same many of us have for you who live your life to promote justice and give me and my family a safe passage through ours.

God bless all of you.

Posts: 47 | Location: Houston | Registered: July 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post