TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    K2 & Spice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

K2 & Spice Login/Join 
posted
Was just made aware that these two items have been added to Schedule I and can now be prosecuted under 481.119 HSC. Wondering if you guys have any comments about this? Anyone encountering problems with the lab analysis?

Posts: 1 | Location: Angleton, TX USA | Registered: April 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding that as of 4-5 months ago, DPS was unable to test for the active ingredients in these. I checked before my office at the time was making its charging policy on these cases. Lab capabilities may have changed...

Posts: 66 | Location: Travis County, TX, USA | Registered: August 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that the DPS crime labs can now test for those substances. There are a couple of bills proceeding through the Texas legislature that bans the five substances banned by the feds and the commissioner of TDSH plus dozens of permutations.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is anyone prosecuting these cases??

I see that the Gov. signed the new bill (SB 331) on May 28 and according Texas Legislature Online goes into effect on 09/01/2011.

Yes, the Texas Dept of State Health Services added the K2 substances to the Schedules BUT it is not yet on the Penalty Groups (or at least not yet). So I do not see how we could proceed with actual prosecutions yet... or can we??

DSHS claims they "banned" the substances found in K2. I'm not sure what that means by criminal law standards.

Posts: 3 | Location: Athens, TX | Registered: June 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Until SB 331 goes into effect, possession, manufacture, or delivery of any of the five substancesthat the Commissioner of TDSHS did list in Schedule I should be prosecuted under Section 481.119 (Class A or B) (Possession of Miscellaneous substances). DPS can test samples for those five chemicals, but I don't know if they can test for the other chemicals added by SB 331.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah--we're prosecuting

(under 481.119)

Posts: 79 | Location: Hood County | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since TDSHS did list it in Schedule I, we have not seen any of it to prosecute.

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've received one case under 481.119 that I will be prosecuting, but I'm waiting on the results back from DPS prior to filing. My understanding is that the manufacturers are using a shifting spectrum of these analogs, and so I want to make sure that what was seized actually contains a substance that's been banned.

I've also prosecuted one DWI where K2 was the intoxicating substance.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post