TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Devil Didn't Make Her Do It
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Devil Didn't Make Her Do It Login/Join 
posted
After reading about the basis for the expert's opinion in the Tyler insanity case, I wonder how many of the future insanity defendants will make sure to say God, rather than the Devil, made them do it. Read the story.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think it matters to the victim whether or not the criminal is insane or not. The result of the crime is the same, you have small children dead.

Emotionally, I would have wanted to argue for jury nullification and ask them to ignore the testimony of the "experts" and find her guilty.

I would like to see the law changed. If a person is insane, then put them in a state hospital until they are sane, then lock them up for the rest of their lives in prison if they ever become "sane" again.

Acquittal should not be an option.

John

Posts: 115 | Location: Andrews, Texas | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John, perhaps some clever lawyer would argue that the two God/devil insane/not insane verdicts are not really inconsistent: lawyers could argue that one might expect the devil to urge murder of one's precious child, but that it is crazy to think that God would do so........

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure she does. Just ask the devoutly religious person in your hypothetical: is it right to follow the recommendations of Satan? Are you supposed to resist or follow those recommendations? If she thought it was God, who could blame her (or so that jury apparently thought), but if she thought it was the devil, she was supposed to resist (or so the other jury apparently thought). Problem is, what if you think God, not the devil, is telling you to crash airliners into buildings?

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem is you cannot necessarily presume God would not ask a parent to murder his child. Was Abraham insane? It would appear to me that Satan could be just as overpowering (if you first believe you have established direct contact), though I guess with an entirely different motive.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post