TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    I fought the law and.... I won!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I fought the law and.... I won! Login/Join 
posted
With the widespread use of this technology, I wonder how many more people will raise this kind of defense. This kind of case always boils down to a 'he said / she said' kind of swearing match.

Teenager beats speeding ticket with GPS

By Iain Thomson in San Francisco VNU Net - Saturday, July 19 01:00 am

A teenager has successfully defended himself against a speeding ticket by convincing the court that his GPS was more accurate than a police radar gun. Shaun Malone, 18, was issued a speeding ticket after a police radar gun tracked him as going 62 mph in a 45 mph zone. However, he appealed the ticket because his GPS, which was installed by his parents to monitor his driving, showed he was driving within the speed limit.

The court originally ruled against the ticket, as a court expert said GPS was not accurate enough to give a precise reading. But after examining the particular system, installed by Rocky Mountain Tracking, he decided it would be suitable.

"This case has caught the attention of the nation, and it will set a precedent on how police departments use speed traps in the face of an increased GPS presence," says Brad Borst, president of Rocky Mountain Tracking, and who is also a former Police Officer. "The accuracy and reliability of GPS has helped bring this important issue into the limelight."

The device measures real-time speed every 30 seconds and can also be configured to send out an email message to the owners if the car reaches speeds of 70 mph or over.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/vdunet/20080719/ttc-teenager-beats-speeding-ticket-with-6315470.html

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This teen didn't make such a good choice:

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Two weeks after Joshua Lipton was charged in a drunken driving crash that seriously injured a woman, the 20-year-old college junior attended a Halloween party dressed as a prisoner. Pictures from the party showed him in a black-and-white striped shirt and an orange jumpsuit labeled "Jail Bird."

In the age of the Internet, it might not be hard to guess what happened to those pictures: Someone posted them on the social networking site Facebook. And that offered remarkable evidence for Jay Sullivan, the prosecutor handling Lipton's drunken-driving case.
Full story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25738225/>1=43001

Posts: 146 | Location: Dallas, Texas USA | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post