TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Adderall
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adderall Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know how the State prosecutes possession of Adderall?

Adderall is a combination of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. It is considered a Sch II drug by the FDA.

The Controlled Substances Act doesn't put dextroamphetamine into any penalty group.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Tamla

Posts: 2 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: March 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would prosecute for possession of amphetamine, a penalty group 2 substance.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't it prescribed as a medication for ADD and ADHD?

Technically, you can do the Amphetamine with adulterants and dilutents, right?

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"The Controlled Substances Act doesn't put dextroamphetamine into any penalty group."

The true meaning of the word "dextroamphetamine" is the dextrorotatory isomer of amphetamine... as opposed to the levorotary isomer.

Every amphetamine molecule is either a D- or an L- isomoer... there is no such thing as plain "amphetamine."

I don't have a copy of the code here in front of me but I'm pretty sure that optical isomers are explicitly included.

If I remember correctly, only the Dextro is effective at causing the "desired effect" and the L isomer is so harmless that it is used in those over-the-counter Vick's inhalers. I think there is a provision in the code that says something to the effect that it is legal if the formulation is such that it is used for some purpose other than getting people high.

Anyway, for more info on optical isomers, check this link to the wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_isomerism

[EDIT] - Fixed quote

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to check the Schedules. You will find the Schedules for 2005 on the Texas Department of Health's website. I have them in PDF format if you need them.

Janette Ansolabehere
Texas Department of Public Safety
Office of General Counsel

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From: http://add.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.addult.org%2Fadder.htm

The drug contains:
1/4 Dextroamphetamine Saccharate
1/4 Dextroamphetamine Sulfate
1/4 Amphetamine Aspartate
1/4 Amphetamine Sulfate

The words Saccharate, Sulfate, and Aspartate indicate that these are all salts... which makes sense because amphetamine base is a liquid but the salts are solid.

The "dextro" is either selectively produced or, possible, but less likely, it could have been isolated from the racemate.

The when it doesn't specifify dextro or levo then it is probably the racemate... meaning that it contains both D and L isomers.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Ansolabehere:
Don't forget to check the Schedules. You will find the Schedules for 2005 on the Texas Department of Health's website. I have them in PDF format if you need them.

Janette Ansolabehere
Texas Department of Public Safety
Office of General Counsel

Will you email that pdf to me?

pray@co.cooke.tx.us

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just sent you my copy dated Jan 2005. I don't know if J. Ansolabehere has a more current one. Hope it helps.

Posts: 128 | Location: TX | Registered: March 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the most current schedules can be found here:

2005 Schedules

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Schedule II stimulutes:
(1) Amphetamine, its salts, optical isomers, and salts of optical isomers;
(2) Methamphetamine ...