TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    See what happens when prisoners given right to vote
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

See what happens when prisoners given right to vote Login/Join 
posted
The European Court of Human Rights required Britain to give ALL prisoners the right to vote. This axe murderer shares his "thoughts" on the issue:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8105570/Prisoner-votes-killer-John-Hirst-celebrates-with-champagne-and-a-spliff.html

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wait until our Supreme Court gets a hold of a lawsuit from our prisoners, citing that other "civilized" nations are allowing their felons to vote. Now that it's a human rights issue, it'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No doubt inmate voting will fall within "the evolving standards of decency" framework. Doesn't everything!!!

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot, at the rate that our standards of decency are evolving, someone will challenge the law of gravity and it will be declared unconstitutional. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The story said the court found the law prohibiting prisoners from voting was "discriminatory."

As they say in California: "Well, duh!" Anytime you chose something you discriminate. If a country can't decide who to let vote, what authority does it have?

But if the ruling holds, I say, what about American tourists? Why can't we vote in Brit (and other EU) elections? Any law that prevents us from voting is discriminatory. And why can't we vote absentee? As long as we once were a tourist, we shouldn't lose our "right" to vote in a Brit election, should we? I'd say we are at least as deserving as convicted criminals.

Actually, I think it would do Europe a lot of good if their politicians had to worry about pleasing not only the locals, but American tourists, both present and past. Might bring some common sense to the Old World. And it might also bring some needed bucks for our struggling media outlets. For example, I could see where a fellow "standing" for election as the MP from Richmond, near London, might find it cheaper to advertise on rural Texas radio stations rather than the very expensive London media market. And that just might make the so-called "Conservative Party," into a truly conservative party.

The EU's court just might get more than it bargained for with a ruling like that.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post