TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Demonstrative Evidence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Demonstrative Evidence Login/Join 
posted
The computer age is getting tougher and tougher. In a trial just concluded, we used a PowerPoint program in voir dire that we developed. The defense asked the judge to make the CD part of the record (not a printout, but the CD itself), which the judge did. There was no objection to the presentation itself. We are concerned that we have a proprietary interest in the program developed by us, and that the defense bar will now be able to simply get ahold of our work and modify it for their purposes (without the work involved). We have about a week in which to make a case for the court on the issue. Is there any help?

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a link to the FAQ section of the US copyright office website. It sounds like you have a copyright because it is your own original work but that to sue for copyright infringement you need to register your work.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html

Now to cover myself: I am not board certified in copyright or patent law nor do I represent that I possess any particular legal knowledge in this field and nothing in this post is to be construed to create an attorney-client relationship between myself and any person. Please research this issue for yourself or consult with an attorney who can competently offer a legal opinion on this issue Smile

Posts: 38 | Location: Brownsville, Tx, USA | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post