TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Is there Help on the Way?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there Help on the Way? Login/Join 
posted
In describing the circumstances surrounding her forgery offenses, one of our recent clients said: "Husband was in jail, I had no home, no money, no car, and needed drugs". (Note absence of "job"). Later, in describing her days at the Dawson State Jail: "We don't work or anything here, just sit around 24 hr a day doing nothing. Most plan new crime, talk about drug use and even worse." (Seems to be missing opportunity to work.) Her letter ended: "Please help if you can. I need help. Thank you and God bless." She will be returning to a community near you on December 19, 2003, no doubt with a new name, if not the "life skills" taught at Dawson.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is your point? That she is lazy and needs to get a job? Or that her criminal tendencies are society's fault and should be fixed by some magical program?

The TDCJ website indicates that there are several programs available for Dawson inmates, including educational and substance abuse related counseling. To check it out, go to:

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/directory/unit-profiles/dir-units-dawson.htm

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know that I was trying to make any point. I'm not sure whether her attitude changed after arriving at the state jail or not. There is some indication she formed a different set of priorities. Or maybe I was just thinking it was ironic that work was not on her mind when she could have found it and yet it became her complaint now that she has no real opportunity. Or maybe it was the fact that she needed drugs on the outside, but found talk about them distasteful inside. By the way, I generally stay confused about the criminal justice system, but I hate to think I might spread my confusion. I'll be a bit more careful what I post. big grin

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post