TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Plea bargaining with CDL speeding offenders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plea bargaining with CDL speeding offenders Login/Join 
posted
Our county is seeing a flood of speeding tickets, mostly to CDL holders (a by-product of living in the heart of the Eagle Ford shale). I will be prosecuting at the JP level unless I see an appeal. I am searching for a good plea that is acceptable to offer CDL holders.

Posts: 5 | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lower the fine or jury trial. You don't want to do anything to undermine the intent of the Legislature in preventing deferreds on these cases, like CSR for a dismissal. Justice Court prosecutors are put in the tough position of enforcing this restriction, even against CDL holders who commit a traffic infraction on personal time in their personal vehicles. It's frustrating and most of us have been there....

Posts: 66 | Location: Travis County, TX, USA | Registered: August 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they were in their personal vehicle, we allow them to plead to a speed lower than that alleged in the complaint (e.g., 74 in a 70 instead of 81 in a 70), and the JP court reports the disposition to DPS.

Since it's less than 10% of the posted speed limit, it might have less impact on their CDL.

Some drivers are happy with that, others say they can't take a conviction no matter what. I think we all feel bad for them.

Posts: 5 | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post