TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    ? for county attorney office prosecutors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? for county attorney office prosecutors Login/Join 
posted
I am interested to know how other misdemeanor prosecutors (in CA offices) issue both their trial subpoenas and duces tecum subpoenas. Do you go through your County Clerk's offices? Do you issue them yourselves? etc...

Posts: 79 | Location: Hood County | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While an attorney of record can issue a subpoena in civil cases, a subpoena in a criminal case must be issued (signed) by a court or clerk. See art. 24.01(d) and art. 24.03(a) of Code of Criminal Procedure.

Posts: 109 | Location: Llano, TX USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. Of course 24.03 applies to felonies and I'm specifically talking about misdemeanors. And 24.01(d) doesn't really say it has to be a clerk or court, only what they have to do if they issue one. Not necessarily arguing with you on it, was just looking for something a little more clear.

Posts: 79 | Location: Hood County | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same question when I learned that local PD occasionally issued subpoenas (misdemeanors) on their own, with ct. clerk signature. 24.01 no help, but clerk more comfortable with CA signing first, and that seems best for all concerned.

Posts: 41 | Location:  | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We file them with the county clerk, and we serve them unofficially through email to our different police agencies.

C Wilde

Posts: 36 | Location: San Marcos, Texas | Registered: December 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post