TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Criminal records (regarding Class C misdemeanors)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Criminal records (regarding Class C misdemeanors) Login/Join 
posted
I have always been under the impression that Class C offenses do not appear on someone's DPS criminal record. I believe the two relevant statutes relating to this come from the Code of Criminal Procedure and the Penal Code.

Criminal Procedure Art 60.05

Types of information collected

The criminal justice information system must contain but is not
limited to the following types of information for each arrest for a
felony or a misdemeanor not punishable by fine only:

Penal Code 12.03 (c)

Conviction of a Class C misdemeanor does not impose any legal disability or disadvantage.

If the class C misdemeanor is a moving citation, it appears on the DPS driving record for 5 years, but I'm certain it does not appear on a criminal record. But do cases like an Fail to Appear (FTA) for a traffic ticket, DUI, PI, or Disorderly Conduct appear on a criminal record if an arrest is made? The statutes lead me to believe that since Class C misdemeanors are defined as misdemeanors that are punishable by fine only, they would not. However, I am not confident enough to state this as fact. Also, if my interpretation is indeed correct, how does the DPS determine if a CCH applicant has been convicted of disorderly conduct in the past 5 years?

[This message was edited by brownman40 on 08-06-04 at .]

Posts: 4 | Registered: August 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post