TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Xanax Bars
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Xanax Bars Login/Join 
posted
Okay, I am writing a reply brief and one of the items seized by officers were Xanax Bars. I know this refers to the shape of the pills. But does anyone have a reference that I can use for the court of appeals?

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Xanax is the name brand of the drug alprazolam. The street slang for the 2mg pill is "bars" and for the 1mg pill and under, the slang is "footballs"

AJS

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could always cite the ever-authoritative urbandictionary.com as your source. Wink

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G

I have almost resorted to just that, it would be in a footnote anyway.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surely someone on your police force has attended a narcotics training that discusses street slang for "xanny bars." If they've retained the training materials then you could cite to them, or simply cite to an interview of the officer. I don't have my blue book with me, but I know there's a citation form for a personal interview. If you do that, then you might call someone at the DPS lab or in another jurisdiction. Surely someone in Houston or Dallas has an officer that does training.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might consult the Drug Identification Bible it generally has the street names of common drugs.

Posts: 158 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Web MD has online pictures of alprazolam: Xanax Pictures

In the past, the justices of the Sixth Court of Appeals have been willing to consider internet sources that help explain jargon used at trial.

Posts: 218 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post