TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Amusement Ride Intoxication Crimes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amusement Ride Intoxication Crimes Login/Join 
posted
Just curious, has anyone ever been convicted in any county of the offense of Assembling or Operating an Amusement Ride While Intoxicated?

Posts: 172 | Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: June 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered this myself. I get the operation part, but assembling the ride while intoxicated? I'd love to know the legislative history, and what particular incident led to that inclusion in the statute.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The incident that led to the statute occurred several years ago at the Travis County Fair and Rodeo. The carnie who was operating a ride (can't remember the particular ride) was intoxicated and didn't latch the restraining buy on one of the cars. Both occupants--a brother and sister--were ejected and the girl struck a wall and was killed. I don't know why they included assembling a ride, but think of what could happen if the someone assembling the ride did it incorrectly because he or she was intoxicated. As for prosecutions, I don't know if anyone has ever been convicted, but I do know that people have been arrested for violation 49.065. I have talked to more than one Trooper who arrested a carnie operator for the offense while working secondary employment at fairs.

Janette A

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 15 year-old girl was killed riding the Himalaya at the Austin-Travis County Livestock Show + Rodeo.

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will admit that since graduating college and realizing what a tenuous grip we all have on life, I now partake of nothing more dangerous at a carnival than a funnel cake. It's a shame too, some of the little coasters are fun. Of course, I think they're statistically the rides most likely to kill you...

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We successfully prosecuted a Assembling an Amusement Ride While Intoxicated about 6 years ago. The arrest was made as the carnival was setting up for the annual "Spring Ho Festival." Really, that's the name!

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post