TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Asset Forfeiture--Amend Petition After 30 days???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Asset Forfeiture--Amend Petition After 30 days??? Login/Join 
posted
So, we seized some money from a guy. The affidavit from the officer includes all the relevant specifics about the car that he was driving. The officer intended, as did we, to seize the car. However, the petition was filed for only the money. After the 30 days ran, we realized that the car was not included in the petition. So, we amended the petition to include the car. Now there's a motion to dismiss the amended petition so the defendant can get his car.

Hearing is Thursday morning.

It seems to me that notice isn't a problem, because the affidavit clearly names and describes the car.

The intent is clear.

BUT....it was after the 30 days.

Anyone else deal with this?

What do y'all think?

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you're out of luck on anything you don't file on prior to the expiration of 30 days. I think you can amend to change nearly anything in your pleadings, but not to add additional seized stuff. I haven't done any research on this though, so I could be wrong.

Posts: 280 | Location: Weatherford, Texas | Registered: March 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering, because the affidavit was clear on both the car and money, if that's going to be enough to allow us to amend.

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post