TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Sin ain't sin if 'good' people do it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sin ain't sin if 'good' people do it? Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
I guess that's gonna be the defense ...

Ryan lawyers, prosecutors clash over his stand on the death penalty

By Associated Press
CHICAGO (AP) - Prosecutors complained Wednesday that George Ryan's attorneys were telling potential jurors at the former governor's racketeering and fraud trial too much about his opposition to the death penalty, and a defense lawyer said their objection "borders on paranoia."

The fresh clash came as the search for a jury to sit through what is expected to be a four-month trial went into its third day, making progress at an agonizingly slow pace.

U.S. District Judge Rebecca R. Pallmeyer says that Ryan's decision just before he left the governor's office in 2003 to commute the sentences of all 167 death row inmates to life without parole is not relevant to the charges against him and co-defendant Larry Warner.

Ryan, 71, is charged in a 22-count indictment with racketeering, mail fraud, lying to FBI agents and tax fraud. Prosecutors claim that, among other things, he got loans for his relatives and gifts from Warner while allowing the lobbyist to steer leases and contracts to his clients.

Prosecutors are plainly concerned that Ryan's stand against capital punishment could bias jurors in his favor, and Pallmeyer has said defense attorneys may not dwell on it at trial. ...

Quad City Times article

Posts: 2426 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess that's assuming that commuting the death sentences of 167 people is, to quote another convicted felon, Martha Stewart, "a good thing." I doubt if our juries in Texas would think that was such a commendable action.

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
No, Toto, I don't think they're in (Texas) anymore ... Wink

Posts: 2426 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness we reside in the 5th and not the 9th Circuit.

By the way, Deep Purple had/has a great song, covered by Government Mule amongst other bands, called "Sin's a Good Man's Brother". Great tune.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post