TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Penal Code 46.03
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Penal Code 46.03 Login/Join 
posted
Places Weapons Prohibited: facts are: gun in a car in the parking lot of a state university at 4am with nothing special happening in the parking lot at the time......if 46.03 directs you to 46.035 for the definition of "premises" and that definition only lists buildings and specifically excludes parking lots....is it a crime to have a gun in your car in the parking lot of a state university? ...... (UCW doesn't apply in this situation either.)

Posts: 100 | Location: Nacogdoches, Texas, USA | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, it is not. You have read the statute and the one it refers to correctly.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and that was intentional, by the way. there was a bit of a split at the Legislature over it at the time. Big city police did not like the idea of guns on campus for fear of gang violence, but more rural folks thought it was fine because of students who were coming straight from the ranch to school.

Posts: 273 | Registered: January 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree. This is Texas, and you might need to pick up your kids at school on the way to the deer lease. I got to sit in on a meeting about that very subject with former speaker Gib Lewis in late 2002 or early 2003.

Note that there is an offense in the Education Code that you might consider--37.125.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Limo driver ( who also owns the limo) is carrying passengers for hire and has in his possession a cane with an illegal knife inside.....blade more than 5 1/2 inches.....
Officers filed U.C.W. under 46.02...i dont think it fits as he was in his own vehicle. Any other thoughts?

Posts: 568 | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mhartman:
Officers filed U.C.W. under 46.02...i dont think it fits as he was in his own vehicle.

Correct.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it sad that I am so excited that I read that right?

Posts: 100 | Location: Nacogdoches, Texas, USA | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post