TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    HSC Chapter 463?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HSC Chapter 463? Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
Entitled "Contributing to Delinquency of Habitual Drunkard or Narcotic Addict"

The Link

Does anyone use these offenses? Judging by the language used, they are relics of a day long since past. They are mini-Class Bs ($500, 0-1 year). Lexis shows no annotations for 463.001 - 463.013 except for a 1971 case under an old predecessor.

A legislator interested in clearing out some dead wood from the law has asked, so I thought I'd see if anyone cares ... speak now or hold your peace ...

Shannon
edmonds@tdcaa.com

Posts: 2426 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we keep these statutes, could we establish a TDCAA Bawdy House Task Force? Would the Governor's office consider a grant?

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's like that old box of bolts and nuts in my garage. Haven't used them for years, but if I throw them out, then I'll need them the next day!

Posts: 244 | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shannon,

Tell the legislator that those old laws do no harm, and, who knows--they might prove useful now and again.

On the other hand, there is plenty of dead wood in the statutes which actually get in the way of Justice.

If he wants to do some brush clearing that will have a truly positive effect, ask him to work on repealing Art. 38.22 CCP (Confession statute--most states do fine without one. Ours has never protected a single person from a rogue cop making up a false confession, since all he has to do is claim the def. made the statement pre-custody.)

Or how about Art. 38.14 CCP requiring corroboration of an accomplice witness, which protects higher-ups in a criminal organization from prosecution? That's a dumb statute that need cutting.

Or how about Art. 38.141 CCP, which requires corroboration of C.I.'s in drug cases?

Here's some more statutory junk: CCP Art. 2.131; 2.132; Art. 2.133; Art. 2.134; Art. 2.135; Art. 2.137? These are the statutes that pretend to outlaw "racial profiling" and result in the tragic and pointless deaths each year of 1,000s of innocent trees, to make the paper to print them on. So far, all those statutes have done is provide mis-information in the form of meaningless statistics for one of the major newspapers to use to falsely paint the criminal justice system as racist; it has also caused police to be less vigilent in their patroling; and police agencies to waste critical time and money trying to comply with these foolish statutes.

That ought to be enough to keep him busy this session. However, if he needs more work, I'm sure other members of this forum might have some other bad statutes that need cutting.

Smile

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post