TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    What's Your Record??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's Your Record?? Login/Join 
posted
After seeing an article like this, I am convinced that electronic voting is NOT the way to go.

In any event, I am curious to see what your record is for having a defendant plea to the most felonies at one time.

Former Va. mayor pleads guilty to 243 felonies, including rigging election and corruption

WISE, Va., Dec. 1, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AP) The former mayor of a tiny coal town who prosecutors say masterminded a scheme to buy votes with beer, cigarettes and even pork rinds, pleaded guilty Thursday to 243 felonies, including vote-rigging and corruption.

Wise County Circuit Judge Tammy McElyea made former Appalachia mayor Ben Cooper plead individually to each of the charges against him, which included stealing election records, forging ballots, hindering the rights of citizens to vote freely, voting more than once in an election and violating absentee voting procedures.

By the time she reached the 11th charge, Cooper, 64, was saying "guilty" before she had finished reading the charge.

"You're getting ahead of me," she said, to which Cooper apologized.

During the trial of one of 13 people accused of conspiring with Cooper, prosecutors portrayed the ex-mayor as being the key figure in a plot to rig a 2004 election in Appalachia, 91 miles northeast of Knoxville, Tenn. They said the accused conspirators intercepted absentee ballots from the mail, filled them out and forged the signatures of the intended voters.

Cooper is scheduled to be sentenced Jan. 9 and could get up to 21 months in prison, based on state sentencing guidelines. His plea agreement left sentencing up to the judge.

Seven others convicted in the case have been handed sentences ranging from six months in prison to fines.

Posts: 234 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what's the exchange rate for votes to pork rinds?

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Newell:
what's the exchange rate for votes to pork rinds?

I bet AP knows.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am the banjo player, and that automatically conjures visions of Burt, Jon, Ned and the whole Hee Haw gang out in the woods on their way to Aintry. But I will only muse that I believe the line in the movie, had it been a political thriller set amongst what was originally posted above, and not a nature documentary, would appropriately have been: "....squeal like a voter, boy!"

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SAA-LUTE!

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you to AP and David for their last two posts! ROFLOL! Best laugh I had this week.

HEEEEEE HAAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...I searched the world over and thought I'd found true love. But you met another and pppffffhhhhtttt, you were gone.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post