TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Stacking convictions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stacking convictions Login/Join 
posted
I have a three count indictment with three different victims of Agg Assault/deadly weapon ag Peace Officer arising out of an incident on same day. Can the Judge stack the sentences the jury gives in the cases or should I have pled them in 3 different indictments? Would they then be stackable(consecutive)? Seems like there was a good TDCAA article called "Stack em, Stack em High" Anyone know where I can find it?

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are probably looking for Stack It. The "the sentences shall run concurrently" language of 3.03 (a) seems pretty clear to me, so I do not think stacking will become an issue in your described case.

Posts: 2387 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inspired by the Devo song, Stack it, Stack it Good does describe the laws regarding consecutive/concurrent sentences. But, we sure could use some more help in the legislature for giving judges broader authority to have trials with multiple charges and stacking discretion.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post