TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    It's official -- Justice Stevens retiring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's official -- Justice Stevens retiring Login/Join 
posted
Supreme Court Justice Stevens Retiring

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens, the court's oldest member and leader of its liberal bloc, is retiring. President Barack Obama now has his second high court opening to fill.

Stevens said Friday he will step down when the court finishes its work for the summer in late June or early July. He said he hopes his successor is confirmed "well in advance of the commencement of the court's next term."

So let the speculation begin -- who will be the successor, and what impact will it have on the court?

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw something, on SCOTUS blog, I think that both parties want to get an Asian-American on Board. But I have also read that Kaplan is a likely candidate.

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think he'll go for a more liberal candidate and keep Kaplan in reserve in case Ginsberg retires as well. If the midterms result in a loss of Senate seats it will be harder to get a more ideological candidate confirmed. Additionally, identity politics create a strong pull for an Asian-American candidate.

However, I would like to nominate Andrea Westerfeld again.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I stood a chance under Bush, but he went for that hack Roberts instead. Wink

I think he'll go for as liberal as he thinks he can get away with. But he'll have to balance the possibility of getting a more liberal candidate through now against losing more seats in November if he pushes someone too liberal, I think.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Newell:

However, I would like to nominate Andrea Westerfeld again.

I once again second that nomination and would further say that Obama could make the Court really excellent if he'd just appoint Andrea.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a shocking oversight! While Washington keeps getting it wrong, Andrea is languishing in Texas. But all is not lost. One day, Washington too will regularly read the TDCAA forums and truly know who to appoint to future vacancies.

Posts: 444 | Location: Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post