TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Hiring process of Dallas and Harris counties
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hiring process of Dallas and Harris counties Login/Join 
posted
After a slow job search here in Austin over the past 6 months, I've decided to expand my horizons and seek out a position I'm actually interested in elsewhere.

Can anyone offer any insight into the hiring process in either the Dallas or Harris counties DA offices?

How often do entry-level positions open up? How would you rate the competition within the usual hiring pool? Any further advice that you could offer a new attorney looking into employment in these cities?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Posts: 11 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: January 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, 200 views!

Smile

Well if anyone would care to share their knowledge or advice privately, please do not hesitate to email me.

Posts: 11 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: January 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just guessing here, but I imagine the hiring process in Houston is "in transition". The office is being led by a temporary appointee by the governor. An election in November will determine a new DA. The choices are quite different for the voters and will likely result in quite different styles of leadership.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've wondered how much turnover occurs in such a situation.

posted Hide Post
Prosecutors hedging their bet
Some who supported Siegler weigh options after the November election
By BRIAN ROGERS
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

The takeover of their office by an outsider at the end of the year has some Harris County prosecutors weighing their options and considering other jobs including taking appointments as defense attorneys.

To be appointed to a felony case in Houston, lawyers must pass a test of laws and procedures common in trials. The annual test is administered in May, and prosecutors are lining up to take the three-hour exam in case they need new jobs when a new district attorney � either Democrat C.O. "Brad" Bradford or Republican Pat Lykos � takes the helm.

Both candidates have said the District Attorney's office is in need of a major shake-up, but said Thursday that no one has been "targeted" for termination.

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post