TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Gov. Perry for Prisons
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gov. Perry for Prisons Login/Join 
posted
In his budgetary recommendations, which he will release today , Perry will propose an increase of $14.4 million for drug treatment and other rehabilitation programs for offenders.

Two medium security prisons of 1,000 beds each and the retrofitting of 600 additional beds in a Texas Youth Commission facility to be transferred to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice would cost $125.8 million from bonds remaining from a package approved by Texas voters in 2001.

The governor also will recommend spending $34.4 million over the next two years to allow the criminal justice agency to acquire additional prison space from counties.

Texas hasn't built any new prisons since the early 1990s, when it completed a $3 billion expansion program prompted by a federal court order to end overcrowding and make other, extensive improvements.

Texas prisons are full again, but some legislators prefer to spend more money on rehabilitation programs, such as drug and alcohol treatment, rather than build new lockups.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John,

Aren't you in New Orleans on vacation? Isn't there jazz that needs to be appreciated and gumbo that needs to be savored? Put down the computer and walk away.

Posts: 126 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: October 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for Governor Perry. The legislators in Austin refusing to consider building new prisons are in denial and are not serving the interests of the average Texan. Rehab is fine, but there are those who simply will not be rehabbed and as long as they are out will be committing more crimes and creating more victims at untold expense to taxpayers. Do they think that the dramatic downturn in crime rates over the past 20 years has nothing to do with building more prisons a few years back? They are headed down the wrong path and Texans are going to pay for it.

Posts: 126 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: October 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know we need more adult lock ups, but does it have to be at the expense of the juvie system? We are in pretty dire need of those beds, also...

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shane, this is no vacation. I am on an educational mission, providing CLE for prosecutors through the National College of District Attorneys at the Evidence for Prosecutors Course. Yes, it happens to be in New Orleans, which happens to have outstanding restaurants, but this is not the point. In fact, being here is also part of our support of the local economy, helping out this post-Katrinia city.

Lisa, I don't think it is intended to reduce juvenile beds. The conversion is actually back to an adult facility, as it was originally intended. I think there is a separate plan to construct a juvenile facility, which apparently is cheaper to build than an adult facility. But, I sure could be wrong about that plan.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope that you are right. The numbers I'm seeing on TYC indicate that they are pressing the limit nearly as fast as TDCJID. While there are options for some of the urban folk with property felon kids, most rural counties don't have the funds for the options. All we can do, even when it is a home situation more than the kid, is commit. When they are placed in a "good" spot, we get a rehabilitated kid; when they are warehoused, we get an adult offender. Being a one man show, I get to see it all.

Meanwhile - I have good friends in Covington LA; all the help you can give the economy out there is sincerely appreciated!

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane Phelps:
Do they think that the dramatic downturn in crime rates over the past 20 years has nothing to do with building more prisons a few years back?

Yes, that's exactly what some people think. Amazing, isn't it?

Posts: 2426 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't believe that is going to happen. The committee members seem dead set against it. It is my understanding that if the proposed bills do not make it out of their respective committees, then it doesn't get voted on by the house or senate at large.

Other than signing into law a piece of legislation, or vetoing something, the Gov. doesn't really have power to do anything. Texas has a 'weak" governor compared to other states.

Thats my understanding.

Perhaps we should be spending our time and money on the issues that we can hope to win or influence, instead of on what looks like a lost cause.

Posts: 234 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post