TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Visiting judge - veto right?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Visiting judge - veto right? Login/Join 
posted
Is the right of a litigant to "veto" the first visiting or substitute judge limited to civil cases? I was thinking that it was a civil rule but one of my judges needs a quick answer if a defendant can do so in a criminal case. Any help is appreciated.

Posts: 276 | Location: Liberty County, Texas | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have the cite but it is in the government code, I believe.

The answer is no, a criminal defendant or the state is not allowed to object to a visiting judge, absent any grounds of recusal that any judge would be subject to.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Greg. I went through Bastrop the other day and started to drop by... but running late as usual.

Posts: 276 | Location: Liberty County, Texas | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next time, I'll buy you a hamburger. I still owe you one. Cool

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post