TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Crime Scene Photos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crime Scene Photos Login/Join 
posted
We've recently pled out a case that involves some gruesome photos of the deceased victim. The victim's family would like to view those photos. For obvious reasons, we don't think it's a good idea for the relatives to be left with those images implanted in their brains. But, how do we keep from having to show the photos to them? How do other offices handle these types of requests? Does your answer change if they do an open records request?

Posts: 15 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had 3 cases in which family members really, really wanted to see the photos. Twice, I allowed them to see them after I'd talked w/ them at length about what to expect and why they felt the need to do it. I sat with them (at their request) as they went through the photos. Both times, the families said they felt better afterwards. Who am I to say they didn't?
Once I had a young teen brother want to see the pictures of his rape/murder victim sister that were particularly ghastly. Fortunately, with help from mom, I talked him out of it.
For me, the deciding line is whether they want to see them for prurient reasons (brother) or because they really think it will help them move on.

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, both sets of families allowed me to kind of edit the photos they saw, so I kept out the internal autopsy pictures, naked shots, things like that.

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experiences are roughly the same as Lisa. I always point out to the victim's family that imho, they might not want the images portrayed to be one of their recollection of the victim. That being said, if they are adament about viewing them, I let them, but like Lisa, I edit out the autopsy and other photos.

I like to try to give my victims and/or their survivors some control. They lose control when their loved one is victimized, and although I control plea bargains and the like, I always attempt to give them some input into the process. My goal is to help them feel less victimized.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should have a policy. I've had this come up several times, leading me to work with my victim/witness coordinator on a policy. For the details and examples of what has happened, call Irene Odom at 512-943-1234.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a few victims who insisted on seeing phhotographs that I thought they shouldn't view. I really look at each case individually. A couple of victims I have just told no, and explained why. The few who still want to view them I have told to come back six months after the trial if it still seems that crucial to their healing process. Not a one has ever called me back wanting to see the pictures. I like to think that as time passes and their wounds heal a bit, they see the wisdom in my advice. I guess at the least, it no longer seems that important to them.

Posts: 77 | Location: Nacogdoches County, Texas | Registered: April 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post