TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    State Jail Shock
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

State Jail Shock Login/Join 
posted
I looked for this question on prior posts but couldn't find it.

Anyone know if a person is eligible for shock probation after a direct sentence to state jail?

I read sec. 15 of 42.12 as authorizing 1) state jail as a condition of C/S [sec. (d)] 2) state jail as a sanction after revocation hearing [sec. (e)] and 3) "shock" probation after revocation hearing [sec. (f)(1) & (2)].

Now it could be that sec. (f)(2), just standing alone, would authorize it, but it seems that the "topic" of this sec. is revocations.

Anyone come across this before?

Posts: 70 | Location: Sinton, Texas, USA | Registered: January 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
From The Perfect Plea, p. 70:

"For a state jail felony committed after August 31, 1997, a defendant sentenced to state jail is eligible for shock supervision at any time after serving 75 days in a state jail and before completion of the sentence. [fn: CCP art. 42.12, Sec. 15(f)(2)]"

These and other answers can be yours with the purchase of John Bradley's wonderful book, The Perfect Plea; for more details, click here:

TDCAA Publications

Posts: 2426 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wrote that legal statement before the amendment (last session) to the state jail procedure that allows a jury to consider probation. If a jury rejects probation, can a judge nonetheless give shock? It is clear the judge can't override the jury's decision for a 1st, 2nd or 3rd degree felony.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help. I always get into trouble when I actually read the statutes!

Posts: 70 | Location: Sinton, Texas, USA | Registered: January 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post