TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Attorney/Client Privilege
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attorney/Client Privilege Login/Join 
posted
Officers are investigating a burglary. Attorney calls and says a "good samaritan" wants to turn in the property taken in the burglary, but attorney won't tell the "good samaratin's" name, claiming attorney/client privilege. Having done just a few minutes research, my position is that any communications between the attorney and the client are privileged, but the identity of the client is not. In fact, at this point, I don't believe the attorney has even demonstrated that the "good samaritan" is his client.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 77 | Location: Nacogdoches County, Texas | Registered: April 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have the police fingerprint the property when you receive it.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
How good of a Samaritan is he if he won't help catch the bad guy? Wink

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I remember learning in the ethics law school class something about a client's identity is privileged....but I couldn't find anything in the ethics book by TDCAA. Interesting question...it doesn't sound like the name of the client is "tangible" that the attorney would be required to hand over.

Posts: 526 | Location: Del Rio, Texas | Registered: April 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the Texas privilege, TEX. R. EVID. 503, you might look at Texas Rules of Evidence Handbook 2003 at 432-33 (citing Jim Waters Homes, 593 S.W.2d at 752).

Other cases include In re Kaplan, 168 N.E.2d 660, 660-62 (N.Y. 1960); D'Alessio v. Gilberg, 205 A.D.2d 8 (N.Y.A.D. 2 Dept.,1994) (the client consulted the attorney in connection with his or her involvement in a fatal hit-and-run accident. Disclosure of his identity would reveal his possible involvement in a crime in connection with that accident, which is the precise situation for which he sought legal advice. Under these circumstances his or her identity constitutes a confidential communication).

In re Grand Jury Subpoena, 926 F.2d 1423, 1431-33 5th Cir. 1991) DeGuerin v. United States, 214 F.Supp.2d 726, 737 (S.D.Tex.,2002) (If revelation of a client's identity would also reveal a privileged communication, both the identity and the communication are privileged).

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a discussion about this in the TDCAA "Legal Ethics & Texas Criminal Law", page 44, nn 68-71. Generally, a client's identity is not privileged except where "so much of [an] actual communication has already been disclosed that the identification of the client amounts to disclosure of a confidential communication" OR where the disclosure of the client's identity would supply the last link in an existing chain of incriminating evidence likely to lead to the client's indictment.

Posts: 8 | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post