TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Pleading Question SEDD/Welfare Fraud
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pleading Question SEDD/Welfare Fraud Login/Join 
posted
I've recently been assigned to prosecute cases from H&HS for Welfare Fraud. In some cases, the Defendant has made false statements affecting benefits on more than one occasion throughout the course of a period of receiving benefits. Each false statement affects the total Restitution sought.

My question is whether I have to plead such situations as a "continuing course of conduct" or whether it is permissible to plead the date of the initial false statement.

It wouldn't be that difficult to plead the continuous course except that for some reason, H&HS has a different person take the statement each time and then execute the new form.

Posts: 18 | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had a bunch of these come through and wasn't sure either. I had the H&HS supervisor send me the indictment language they wanted the cases prosecuted under.

Posts: 8 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have proposed Indictments from the H&HS Investigators, but I'm not sure they are right.

posted Hide Post
Just charge it as a theft, cumulating all the conduct, and allege a period of time.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. All my single episode cases are being filed as SEDD, but the multiple episodes are being filed as Theft Aggregate. It really is the only way that makes sense for the latter.