TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Sex Offenders Moving to TX From Other States
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sex Offenders Moving to TX From Other States Login/Join 
posted
A sex offender moves here from another state (let's just say Louisiana). He's convicted of "Molestation of a Juvenile" which alleges he "committed a lewd and lacivious act upon or in the presence of a child under 17." Under the other state's law, he has to register for the duration of probation + 10 years. Do we look at what Texas law would do with a similar offense, or does the other state's law govern? We called the other state, and they said his duty to register had expired (because he had apparently gotten early termination from probation). The problem I see is with the "upon or in the presence of" language. I can't tell if it's equivalent to Indecency by Contact or Exposure by looking at the judgment.

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at CCP Art. 62.052. I believe you go by the law of the state of conviction/adjudication for determining when the duty to register ends.

Posts: 106 | Location: Galveston, Tx. | Registered: May 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're lucky, Jane, if you actually got a judgement from a, say, Louisiana Court. Most of what I've seen from the great cajun state that passes for judgements are actually "docket entries".

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Jane, I emailed you with a DPS contact who might help.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post