TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Sentencing by Numbers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sentencing by Numbers Login/Join 
posted
Ever had a defendant who wanted a special number?

LARRY BIRD INSPIRES MAN'S LONGER JAIL TERM
A man got a prison term longer than prosecutors and defense attorneys had agreed to -- all because of Celtics great Larry Bird.

The lawyers reached a plea agreement Tuesday for a 30-year term for a man accused of shooting with an intent to kill and robbery. But Eric James Torpy wanted his prison term to match Bird's jersey number 33.

"He said if he was going to go down, he was going to go down in Larry Bird's jersey," Oklahoma County District Judge Ray Elliott said Wednesday. "We accommodated his request and he was just as happy as he could be.

"I've never seen anything like this in 26 years in the courthouse. But, I know the DA is happy about it."

Read the article.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It could always be worse--he could have been a Wayne Gretzky fan.

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had several defendants take bigger sentences to avoid the dreaded odd number prison sentence, which somehow results in more time served prior to parole than an even number. I think they get their advice from the same brilliant jailhouse lawyer who tell them to reject the nearly time served offer and go to trial, where they inevitably get WAY more time than they would have otherwise. I also had a guy take 14 years rather than 13, which is of course very unlucky. I guess this is the mindset that results in you having "hereinafter referred to as Defendant" tagged onto your name.

Posts: 280 | Location: Weatherford, Texas | Registered: March 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll take Robert Parish's # (wasn't he 00?) Or was it Kevin McHale?

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was Parrish, aka the chief.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always good to know when you get something right. Big Grin

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cherokee County is always on target. After all, you are the home of Proposition 4, the victim's friend.

posted Hide Post
Years ago, one of the first felony habitual cases I tried was a cousin who stabbed his cousin at a New Year's Eve party argument over an extremely unattractive female whom the ex-con thought his cousin was flirting with. It wasn't a bad stabbing, more of a slashing, with a few stitches but no internal injuries, and the defendant's history was for two felony theft and some petty drug type offenses. He wouldn't accept any offer involving pen time so I enhanced him to habitual.

The jury gave him 34 years. When I asked them after the trial how they arrived at that number, they said that since the defendant was 34 years old, they wanted to give him a reminder to act his age.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a misdemeanor case I negociated. My offer was 270 days in jail, suspended for 2 years probation. The def. atty. asked me why I picked 270 days.

I actually put down 270 days because I wanted to suspend 9 mos. of jail time. But I told him it was the caliber of my deer rifle. He didn't know me very well, so he nodded his head as if my answer explained everything, and said something like, "oh, I see."
Smile

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg -
I'm confused - Was he slashing his cousin b/c the cousin picked an ugly or was he slashing the cousing b/c the cousin flirted with the ugly HE was interested in? (Big difference).

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Puts GUE in a whole new light.