TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Was it Red?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Was it Red? Login/Join 
posted
The Legislature is considering a bill to allow cameras at stop lights and the issuance of tickets against the car's owner, all civil and not criminal:

http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/today/editorial_2.html

Do you think that is a good idea?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Long overdue, and I agree that there should be no "per ticket" revenue to anyone but the ticketing authority. It would be hard to make sure that the machines are targeted on accident intersections, though. Fact is, we have multiple dangerous intersections around here where it is almost impossbile to set up red-light enforcement because there is no where to park a patrol car.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
TDCAA is tracking House Bill 281 (by Rep. Paul Moreno, D-El Paso) on our "Bills to Watch" list, which you can find on the Legislative Page.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ultimate issue is should traffic be decriminalized? In a great number of States it is. Revenue goes up, personal responsibility and personal consequences (ie: driving record, arrest,larger fines) go away. Civil enforcment is much easier than criminal (no jury trials, no presumption, no ID of offender), but does it make the State a better or safer place to live. Also, beware the next offense most of these folks would like to "make civil" or decrimninalize are drug laws.
Of course that is just my opinion I could be wrong.
Clay

Posts: 293 | Location: Austin, TX, US | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post