TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Insurance Fraud - Theft
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insurance Fraud - Theft Login/Join 
posted
Started out as Insurance Fraud but because of Statute of Limitations now a theft

Guy gets a friend to "steal" his truck. Theft occurs in County A. Report from County B. "Victim"/Defendant lives in County B. "V"/D receives check (State Jail amount) in County B. Lien holder in County C receives remainder of payoff. Two amounts = 3rd degree. Can I charge "V"/D with third degree theft?

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you can. The check to the lien holder is for the benefit of the Defendant. I deal with worker's comp insurance fraud and I include benefit checks written to the AG's office for child support in my calculations for determining the level of offense.
You may also want to look at Securing Execution of a Document by Deception as an option.

Posts: 21 | Location: Austin, TX, USA | Registered: November 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Logan v. State
89 S.W.3d 619
Tex.Crim.App.,2002.
November 13, 2002 (Approx. 10 pages)

It deals with an insurance claim that is partially valid/partially fraudulent. The court ultimately decides the value ladder for the fraud is for the fraudulent value of the claim. I think that helps you say that the entire claim is fraudulent in this case--regardless of where the money is paid.

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post