TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    That didn't take long!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That didn't take long! Login/Join 
posted
Tulia defendant is arrested in assault
Incident involving officer in Pampa came four days after release

06/24/2003

Associated Press

One of the 12 Tulia drug defendants freed from prison last week because of questions surrounding their convictions following a 1999 drug sting has been charged with assaulting a Pampa police officer.

Christopher Eugene Jackson, 31, was back behind bars Monday for allegedly punching the officer, evading arrest and being intoxicated in public. He was arrested after fleeing from authorities Friday morning.

The arrest came four days after he and 11 others were freed from custody during a bail hearing in Swisher County. During the hearing, retired state District Judge Ron Chapman urged the 12 to avoid run-ins with the law.

Attorney Mitch Zamoff said Mr. Jackson has a heart condition that causes him to occasionally black out and act irrationally. He said that could explain his client's behavior.

"We are still gathering information about the alleged incident," Mr. Zamoff said. "My understanding at this point is that there are no allegations relating to drugs and that Mr. Jackson's medical condition may have been a factor."

Police Chief Trevlyn Pitner told The Pampa News that officers on Friday went to check on a report of a suspicious man, "possibly intoxicated," who was standing in the road yelling at cars on U.S. Highway 60.

When officers approached him, he said, the man ran.

An officer was punched in the face and head while taking the man into custody, Gray County Sheriff Don Copeland said Monday. The officer was treated for minor injuries and released from a nearby hospital, he said.

Mr. Jackson was taken to the hospital for evaluation because of his behavior, Chief Pitner said. Gray County Chief Deputy Kelly Rushing said alcohol was not involved.

Mr. Jackson was arraigned on the charges this weekend and remained in the Gray County Jail on Monday. Bail was set at $5,000.

Rod Hobson, a special prosecutor in the Tulia cases, said it was too early in the investigation for him to comment.

"I'm in the process of investigating the circumstances and may have to file a motion to revoke" the bail established for Mr. Jackson on June 16, he said. "Certainly I couldn't let something like that slide."

Mr. Jackson and the other defendants had been imprisoned on the testimony of Tom Coleman, a now-discredited undercover agent.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The trial judge showed little patience for one of the Tulia defendants. He revoked the bond. For details, see Statesman article.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I hope we don't get any of those guys who have heart conditions and black out like that guy who ended up punching the cop etc. That may be a new medical condition that will be alleged in all of our assault on public servant after standing in traffic yelling at cars and running type cases. Must be some type of involuntary reflex condition associated with the circulatory system when in a state of (possibly drug or alcohol induced, surely not), semi-unconsiousness (as opposed to semi-consciousness)or something. Something tells me he won't be the last to return to jail for a new offense. Roll Eyes

Posts: 83 | Location: Caldwell,Texas,USA | Registered: June 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post