Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Super Lawyers Login/Join 
posted
If you got your issue of Texas Super Lawyers in the mail, then you know that there are only 8 prosecutors on the list -- three from Tarrant County! One on the list is a federal prosecutor, so really only 7 state prosecutors made the cut.

Topping that list is Richard Alpert, a frequent lecturer and author for TDCAA. Way to go, Super Alpert!

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard is impressive not only for his trial ability, but so much for all of the advising he does to us in the trenches on individual cases and panic calls. He is a true professional, one who not only works undoubtedly many more hours than 40 every week on his "own" job as a prosecutor, but many other hours helping other prosecutors.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And don't forget that forumite and Colorado County and District attorney Ken Sparks is on the list as well.

Ken gave an excellent lecture in Corpus on the professionalism of prosecutors.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add my congratulations to our colleagues who "made the cut." Richard and Ken (with whom I'm familiar; I'm quite sure the other prosecutors named also are exemplary standard bearers) are both first-rate lawyers who add immeasurably to the professionalism of our corner of the bar.

I'm still gunning for my slot on the "Moderately Neat-O Lawyers" list. Or the "Relatively Okay Lawyers" roll. Better yet, sign me up for the "Lawyers Who Like to Kick It Old School" listing.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scott, I've already requested your inclusion into the books: Super Lawyer-not-afraid-to-stand-within-pickin'-distance-of-the-banjo-player-and-live-to-tell-about-it award. Congratulations, SRVII - you rock, sir.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SRV jr., for sure.

[This message was edited by Greg Gilleland on 10-01-07 at .]

posted Hide Post
Call me a cynic but I have always suspected that many of the so-called super lawyers bought themselves onto the listing. Unlike many of the civil attorneys and maybe some of the criminal defense attorneys, it is a real distinction for a prosecutor to make the list.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my third year in a row to make the list. I am going to ask them to "retire" the trophy!

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the key, Ken? Is this thing a beauty contest, is that how it works?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The notice I received indicated that "the selection procedure included peer nominations with more than 55,000 ballots mailed to Texas lawyers, a blue ribbon panel review process, and independent research on the persons under consideration." Sounds good, but I do not know if that really happened.

After you are selected, you get a mailout telling you that you will be listed in small type, free of charge, and if you want a larger ad or photo, you can purchase it for a fairly healthy fee. I figured the small print was good enough for me.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Sparks:

After you are selected, you get a mailout telling you that you will be listed in small type, free of charge, and if you want a larger ad or photo, you can purchase it for a fairly healthy fee. I figured the small print was good enough for me.

I guess those who need some ego building get the full pagers.

Funny, I thought I saw a red cape peeking out from the back of your jacket during the lecture last thursday...

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Is it true that your theme song involves a banjo?

posted Hide Post
Geez, Greg, can't you see that's why he's sporting such a sinister smile? SuperLawyer is in the process of twisting the neck off a Mastertone as the picture is snapped.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ken,

As a veteran Super Lawyer I was hoping you could answer a question that has been troubling me lately. With the demise of the public telephone booth where does one go to change into one's super duds?

Posts: 261 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just take your cell phone into a bathroom stall, but be careful not to tap your foot three times while changing clothes!

posted Hide Post
Also, if arrested, don't plead guilty!

Craig was not allowed to withdraw his plea:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134202/

JAS

[This message was edited by JAS on 10-04-07 at .]

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ken I'm thinking you need to ask them to "unretire" your trophy because this year there are NO prosecutors to be found. Or maybe I'm just not super enough to spot them.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I noticed that as well just before I deposited my copy in the wastebasket.

posted Hide Post
JB you could at least have put it in the recycle bin and made it useful for something.

Posts: 641 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: October 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post