TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Refreshing NonLegalese
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refreshing NonLegalese Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the Honorable in question finds it refreshing too. I got this via email the other day as well, does anyone know what kind of case the defendant is appealing?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess we are required to give pro se defendants latitude. But isn't this a wee bit overboard?

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Gilleland: does anyone know what kind of case the defendant is appealing?

According to the court's website, this is a prisoner/civil rights case. Don't let your jaw hit the floor.

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wes Mau:
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Gilleland: does anyone know what kind of case the defendant is appealing?

According to the court's website, this is a prisoner/civil rights case. Don't let your jaw hit the floor.

Could you hear it hit over there, Wes? I'm stunned, amazed, and have lost my faith in pro-se inmate law-suiters. What's next, finding out there is no Santa?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to be amazed but now am merely amused at the zeal inmates employ in asserting their rights, seeing what little regard they show for the rights of everyone else.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given his choice of language, why am I not surprised that he is a criminal defendant?

Posts: 171 | Location: Belton, Texas, USA | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With such blatant contempt for the integrity of the justice system, I trust the COA simply trashed the NOA.

But I am sure there have been plenty of people who have filed NOAs who have felt that way!

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least it isn't the average inmate pleading, loaded down with misused verbiage intended to make Mr. Pro Se, Esq. sound like an accomplished litigator.

But, on a visceral level, isn't it galling that this guy has an ironclad "right" to appeal (though not necessarily to use the colorful language he has in doing so), but we just have to suck eggs when a jury walks a DWI defendant because "she looks like she's too nice a girl to do somethin' awful like that"? Mad Not that anything like that has happened to our office ....

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post